Learn More about Auto Insurance in Calgary
Obtaining auto insurance quotes in Calgary and finding the best rates around has never been faster or easier when Northgate does the rate shopping for you.
Whether you’re a new driver or you’re an existing driver simply looking for lower car insurance rates, we can help.
As your insurance agency we’ll make sure that we’ve connected you with a policy that meets and exceeds your needs.
We’ll shop around to find policy packages and auto insurance quotes that include all of the features you’re interested in at the best rates we can find. We will also check to see if you qualify for some of the many discounts available to qualified drivers.
What types of discounts might I qualify for?
Some of the car insurance discounts you may qualify for include:
- Years Licensed: The longer you drive without accidents or tickets, the lower your car insurance rates may go when you qualify for a discount based on a long and clean driving record.
- Multi-Product (Bundling): Discounts are available to drivers who obtain multiple insurance policies with us – such a property or recreational insurance.
- Multi-Vehicle: Discounts for multi-vehicle policies.
- Loyalty: Save money for being a loyal, valued customer.
- Post-Secondary Student: Discounts for full time college and university students, under the age of 25
- Hybrid Vehicles: Did you go green by investing in a vehicle that’s more sustainable? Find out if you qualify for a hybrid vehicle discount. Chances are – you do.
- New Business: Discounts for new Northgate Insurance clients.
- Occupational: If you work in one of the following fields, you may qualify for a discount: Accountants, Architects, Civil Servants, Dentists, Medical Profession, Full-time Education, Engineers, Firefighters, Lawyers, Police, Licensed General Insurance Brokers
How do I get insurance if I move to Calgary from another country or province?
Legally, you must obtain insurance within 90 days of moving to Calgary. The good news is that Northgate makes the switch a completely hassle-free, smooth transition. If you’re moving from another country, we can help you get insured quickly and easily. As long as you can provide us with an English driver’s history we will be able to work with you to find the right insurance for your needs.
What will you need if I’m moving to Alberta?
The information we’ll need to collect from you includes:
- Proof of Residency
- Drivers Abstract: This details your entire license history, including any tickets or suspensions in the past 3 years are required.
- Alberta Driver’s License
- Claims Experience Letter: The claims experience letter is an in-depth documentation of insurance history and any accidents or claims – the past 6 years are required.
- Out of Province Vehicle Inspection: If your vehicle is not registered in Alberta, you’ll need to get an out of province vehicle inspection and if purchasing a vehicle from Alberta a GIR on any vehicle 12 years and older.
We’ll give you your insurance cards prior to obtaining the license plates for your vehicle at registries.
There are two important forms relating to auto insurance that we have available for download.
Garage Inspection Report (GIR):
Northgate requires a GIR on any vehicle 12 or 20+ years older, depending upon the insurance company. We recommend having one done on any vehicle 12 years and older to insure the vehicle you buy will hold up on the road and be a sound investment.
Bill of Sale:
You’ll need to show your bill of sale in order to prove ownership of your vehicle for registration and insurance purposes. We recommend using the official bill of sale form provided by Service Alberta to use when purchasing a vehicle from another individual
Explanation of Common Endorsements (Options)
See below for a brief summary of common endorsements:
- SEF 13D – Limited Glass: This type of coverage reduces glass coverage to specified perils. Provides vandalism coverage to all windows other than the front window, which then allows for a reduction in premium.
- SEF 20 – Loss of Use: In the event of an accident, this coverage enables you to rent a vehicle, use public transportation or taxis, to a specified dollar amount.
- SEF 27 – Legal Liability to Non-Owned Auto: This type of coverage provides protection for rental vehicles. Any time you rent a private passenger vehicle in the US or Canada, this covers Third Party Liability and physical damage to the rental vehicle.
- SEF 44 – Family Protection: This endorsement gives protection to the insured and certain relatives in the event of bodily injury and death caused by another motorist who has less Third Party Liability insurance than the insured. Family Protection covers the difference in coverage.
- SEF 43R – Waiver of Depreciation: This coverage “waives depreciation on replacement” as a result of an insured peril. This protects you for initial 30 months following the delivery of your vehicle to you. Note that this can only be added to vehicles purchased new.
- SEF 39 – Accident Forgiveness: Protects drivers from insurance rate increases following the driver’s first “at-fault” or “partially at-fault” vehicle accident claim.
- SEF 18 – Replacement Cost Endorsement: In the event of a total or constructive loss of the automobile, the Insurer, as the basis of loss settlement agrees to pay at its expense for the Insured to replace the automobile and its equipment, including taxes with a new automobile having the same specifications and equipment, or if no such automobile is available, with a new automobile having similar specifications and equipment, for the first 60 months that a new vehicle is put in service. The vehicle must be insured for All Perils, Collision, Comprehensive or Specified Perils under Section C.
- 23A – Lienholder protection: This coverage protects the Lienholder of a vehicle. Under this endorsement, the Lienholder is kept up-to-date on vehicle insurance policy information. For example, if the insurance policy cancels, the Lienholder will be notified.
- SEF 5 – Indicates Leased vehicle: This type of coverage applies to drivers with permission to “rent” or “lease” a vehicle.
- SEF 13H – Deletion of Hail Coverage: This applies to vehicles with unrepaired hail damage. Please note that you can no longer claim for hail damage. This reduces the value of your vehicle. Can be removed on receipt of damages repaired
Tips to Save Money
By bundling insurance policies with Northgate, raising deductibles, and dropping any unnecessary coverage if the insurance costs outweigh the value of the vehicle (ie: collision or comp), you’ll save money on monthly expenditures. Northgate also helps you save by making sure that you receive all of the discounts you qualify for.
Other ways to save money include careful financial planning and budgeting (daily, weekly, and monthly). Any time you plan on spending, it’s time to pull out your calculator and start crunching numbers to make sure you remain within the budget you’ve allowed for yourself. Additionally, by changing payment plans, occasionally taking transit to work, and by signing up for driving courses, you could also save. Driving courses are particularly important for newly licensed drivers to consider.
Common Auto Insurance Myths
- Myth #1: The colour of a car can affect the insurance premium (ie: the red car myth):
We don’t even ask you what color your vehicle is.
- Myth #2: My premiums will automatically lower the longer that I drive:
Unfortunately, rate increases and inflation make this a myth.
- Myth #3: If I file a Comp (short for comprehensive) Claim, my insurance rates will go up:
Comp claims do not affect insurance rates. However, if there are too many comp claims within a short period of time, insurance companies may choose to raise deductibles.
- Myth #4: Insurance rates automatically increase when you get a ticket:
Not always. Insurance companies do not always pull a driving report each time a driver renews their policy. However, in the event that you switch insurance companies following a ticket, the new company will pull a driver report. Ask us about “Conviction Waivers” (offered with Intact); waives the first conviction.